Knitting Terms

**Sourced from and my brain**

These are some abbreviations you may see in patterns you are knitting up. I do suggest once you find out what the hell that abbreviation is, hop over to youtube and watch a few people demonstrate it! New Stitch a Day is a reference as well.

*: With single astricks, it’s usually referring to a repeat in a pattern. For example: K1, P1* to end. 

( ) or [ ]: Repeat stitches in parenthese as stated – (k1, p1) 3 times. Brackets are usually used on the outside of parentheses.

Alt: alternate

Approx: approximate

Beg: begin or beginning

Bet: between

BO: bind off

CC: contrast color

Cn: cable needle

CO: cast off

Dec: Decrease or decreases. There are a variety of decreases you can use, some patterns will suggest one.

Dpn or Dpns: Double point needles

Fl: Front Loop

Frogging: One of the most painful things in knitting. Having to tear back/unravel your stitches. Don’t let too many tears get soaked up in your yarn.

Garter Stitch: Knit every row that creates ridges. Sometimes referred to the backside of stockinette stitches.

K: Knit stitch.

K2tog: Knit 2 stitches together. Can be used for decreases or decorative.

Ktbl: Knit through back loop.

Knitwise: Usually a term used on how to enter your needle into a stitch. Such as “slip stitch knitwise” which means inserting your needle into that stitch as if you are going to knit it, then just letting it hang out on the needle.

Lp/Lps: Loop(s)

M1: Make 1 stitch. Usually used in increases, or can be used for decorative also.

MC: Main color

Ndl: Needles

P up: Pick up and purl.

P: Purl

P2tog: Purl 2 together. Won’t see this too often, but it is a form of decreasing.

Pat or Patt: Pattern

Pm: Place marker.

Pr: Previous row or round.

Prev: Previous

Psso: Pass slipped stitch over.

Ptbl: Purl through back loop.

Pwise: Purlwise. Same idea of knitwise, except you will insert your needle into the stitch as if you were gonna purl.

R: row

Rem: Remaining

Rep: Repeat

Rev st st: Reverse Stockinette. Instead of starting with a knit row, you start with a purl.

Rnd: Round.

RS: Right side. The side of your project that will face outwards when it’s finished.

Sk: Skip

Sk2p: slip, k2tog, psso.

Skp: slip, knit, pass slipped stitch over.

Sl: Slip

Sl st: Slip Stitch.

Sl1k: Slip 1 knitwise.

Sl1p: Slip 1 purlwise.

Ssk: Slip, Slip, Knit. Used for decreases.

Sssk: Slip, Slip, Slip, Knit. also used for decreases.

St st: Stockinette stitch.

Tbl: Through back loop. Just like ktbl or ptbl.

Tfl: Through front loop.

Tog: Together

WS: Wrong side. What will end up being the “inside” of your project when it’s done.

Wyib: With yarn in back.

Wyif: With yarn in front.

Ybk: Yarn back. Same as Wyib.

Yds: yards

Yfwd: Yarn forward, or wyif.

YO: Yarn over. You would loop the yarn around the needle before inserting the needle into the stitch.

Yon: Yarn over needle.

Yrn: yarn around needle. Pretty much just another way to say Yarn over.


One Response to “Knitting Terms”


  1. Guest Post | Sew Basted I Wanna Purl | Beginners Guide to Knitting | littlewillowtree - September 5, 2012

    […] For knitting terms, please head over to my blog. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: